Thursday, April 14, 2011

Pecan Pie Stuffed Chocolate Cake

Hubby and I were inspired by a show we watched this past weekend on the Food Network.  I can't remember the exact show or bakery, but they demonstrated making a three layer cake, each layer containing a whole pie inside! Apple pie in cake, pumpkin pie in spice cake, and pecan pie in chocolate cake.  Well, I didn't have the time to do all three, but I did attempt the Pecan Pie Chocolate Cake and I have to say, it was by far the BEST dessert I have ever made.  Now, we are both doing P90X, so we shared a small slice and sent the rest to work with my husband the next morning.  But I'm saving this recipe for our next family get together. It's phenomenal! Here are some pics... sorry I can't share a bite, too! (Recipe posted below)






Pecan Pie recipe on the bottle of Karo light corn syrup, made with store bought readymade pie crust in 9" pie pan - bake until filling is set then cool completely before removing from pie pan (I recommend using foil/disposable pie pan or greased pie pan for easier pie removal).

Box of Pillsbury (or other brand) chocolate cake, 10" circular cake pan (mine is Wilton and I picked it up at the local craft store)

Pour half the cake batter in pan
Flip pie upside down into pan
Cover with remainder cake batter - bake as directed until toothpick comes out clean

Allow cake to cool completely before icing. Flip cake over and ice with cream cheese frosting (now your pie will be right side up inside your cake and your cake surface is flat for icing.)

Cream Cheese icing:
8oz cream cheese
8oz softened unsalted butter
2 tsp vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar

Garnish with toasted pecans and caramel syrup

6 comments:

  1. I will need you to make that for me when I come visit you. Thanks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! That is amazing! So you do P90X? What day are you on? I've done it a few times through-- modified because I run as well. We're on another cycle now, though! Love it! Trying to fight through a knee issue this week, but hoping by Monday to be back in the game!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a member of the 'family', I am looking forward to experiencing this luscious dessert!
    GMama

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Robyn, day 30. We just took our day 30 pics this morning. Amazing stuff! My last trip to the gym was over a month ago and I ran 5 miles. Haven't been back since but I'm ok with that. I actually am NOT much of a runner, but had been trying to do more of it since having my baby (last May). Be good to your knee and it will be good back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Robyn... oops didn't realize I was logged in as Hubby... above comment was me!

    ReplyDelete